It's a bird, it's a plane… wait, it's a flying tomato! La Tomatina is celebrated on the last Wednesday of August each year. This massive tomato-fight takes place in Buñol, a small village near Valencia, Spain. Thousands of people from around the world travel to Spain every year to fight in the 'World's Biggest Food Fight'. Care to join in on the messy fun?
Fun Facts About La Tomatina Festival
- It's said the tradition began in August of 1945 when people spent time in the town square attending the Giants and Big-Heads figures parade. A fight broke out at the parade and the participants ended up at a market selling vegetables. Someone grabbed a tomato and began throwing... and the rest is history!
- Every year, participants are required to buy tickets so that the crowd is limited to only 20,000 people.
- La Tomatina begins at 12:00pm and ends at 1:00pm sharp. A lot of tomatoes are thrown around in just that one hour!
- There is a list of rules that must be followed during the festival, including a recommended dress code, specific footwear, and how to avoid injuries.
- In 2002, La Tomatina Festival was named a 'Fiesta of International Tourist Interest' by Spain's tourism department because of how many visitors it attracted.
- At the start of the festival, loaded trucks dump tons of tomatoes in the town. As soon as the trucks pass, the battle begins!
- Festivities begin a week before La Tomatina food fight with parades, fireworks, music, dancing, and a paella cook-off contest.
Think your little one would be interested in a giant tomato food fight? To join in on the fun, download your free printable coloring page below: